If you’re not already recycling, I urge your to start. Recycling not only helps us to produce less waste, it also helps conserve important raw materials, helps save energy and makes the planet a better place (yup, its true)
How do you start recycling and keep at it? Here's some tips...
1. Make recycling a way of life
Its not always easy to remember to recycle, so its a good idea to get into a habit of recycling. here are some ways to do this:
* Keep recycling in sight- place labeled bins or boxes for recycling in areas where you throw your rubbish away. This will also be a constant reminder to recycle.
* Make your own compost- If you have a garden, this is an easy way to recycle daily. Just throw bio-degradeable food scraps and garden waste into one area of the garden and start your own compost pile.
* Do donate often- Whenever you buy something new, you should throw something out (or so I have heard). Its a good idea to collect unwanted items (especially clothing) and donate them to a charity or second hand stores.
* Schedule recycling in your calendar - whether you need to schedule a weekly drop at your local recycle center or a monthly visit to donate stuff to a secondhand shop , schedule recycling into your calandar and get into a routine.
* Find out what recycling centers or services exist in your area* - You are more likely to keep up recycling if you can do with it ease. Nowadays there are plenty of recycling centers around and alot of recycling services that will collect from your business or home.
2. Change how you shop and start to reuse things:
Steer clear of buying things that you can't recycle or are not long lasting. Here are some ways to shop smarter and reduce waste:
* Recharge - rather buy rechargeable batteries
* Choose glass - when grocery shopping rather choose food in glass jars over plastic packets or containers. Glass jars can be reused, or recycled, much more easily.
* Avoid prepackaged items - rather than buy things that have already be packaged for you, buy loose items. Most of the time prepackaged items also cost alot more than items that are package free.
* Buy recycled or second hand when you can - by doing this you keep the cycle of recycling and reusing going.
* Bag it - Always take your own bag when grocery shopping. If you forget your bag, make sure you only get a bag that can be reused or recycled.
* Switch from disposable to reusable products- like: food/lunch containers, water bottles, razors, diapers, shopping bags, etc
NOTE: The Wellness Warehouse Recycle Centre provides recycling for Paper, Cardboard, Glass, Plastic and Tin. The opening times of the recycling centre are Monday to Friday, 1pm - 7pm, Sat & Sun, 9am - 2pm. Closed on Public Holidays.
They are based at the Jan van Riebeeck Junior School, next to Wellness Warehouse Kloof (Cape Town). Contact no: Tel: 0860 548 3543
* For a list of other recycling depots/centres in South Africa click HERE