- Taking a protein powder alone won't build muscle. The body uses protein to rebuild muscle after a workout ' that's what makes muscles grow. You need to work your muscles and get enough protein if you want to buff up.
- Amino acids aren't protein. They're the building blocks of protein. Different amino acids, taken alone, do different things. As a rule, leucine and valine help promote muscle growth, while glutamine helps give your body energy.
- Choose your supplement based on your needs. Some, like whey, are designed to help you build muscle. Creatine supplements, for example, are designed to help you with energy.
- There are vegan options. If you're vegan and looking to supplement consider a powder that combines different plant proteins to make up a good balance of amino acids your body can use to build and repair muscle.
- Choose quality. Once you've chosen the right fitness supplement for your needs, take the time to do a little research and make sure you're getting supplements with the best possible ingredients so that they do the most for you. When in doubt, ask a specialist.