Make this into your summer family favourite, the fresh and crisp effect is perfect for a hot day. Think of fennel as a heart health wonder packed with healthy fibre and phytonutrients. Fibre helps lower cholesterol in the blood and is a goodie for heart health. This, with anti-inflammatory parsley and antioxidant-rich apples makes a powerfully healthy salad.
Photography by Tessa B Photography.
Ingredients: (serves 4 as a side salad)
1 fennel bulb
1 green apple, cored
1 baby cabbage, shredded
1/2 handful of shredded parsley leaves
1/3 cup flaked almonds
Sea salt for seasoning
50ml olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp runny honey
Salt and black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- Finely slice the apple and fennel
- Shred the cabbage and parsley and add to a salad dish
- Top with finely sliced apple and fennel rounds.
- Dry fry the sliced almonds in a pan until golden brown, and leave to cool.
- While waiting for the almonds to cool, whip up the dressing.
For the dressing:
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, honey and salt in a dressing jar.
- Shake well and dress the salad thoroughly.
- Top with toasted almonds and serve immediately.