- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli, crushed
- 2 TBSP garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 TBSP paprika
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup warm water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the oil in a large pot on medium-to-high heat. Add the onion, crushed chilli, garlic, carrot, celery and salt and pepper, and fry until the onions are a light golden brown.
- Add the paprika and thyme, allowing to cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes, and let simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little warm water if required.
- Next, add all of the beans, sugar, and warm water. Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Dish up, sprinkle with parmesan or pecorino romano cheese (or omit the cheese and sprinkle with fresh herbs), and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!
Excerpted from Fatima Sydow Cooks by Fatima Sydow, published by NB Publishers and available at leading bookstores and online.
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”