8 ripe figs
1 TBSP butter
1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1 TBSP desiccated coconut
2 TBSP honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Amasi curds, mascarpone or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Cut a deep cross in the top of each fig, and gently push open the incision so that it looks like a flower.
- Put the figs in a baking dish, and place a small cube of the butter in the centre of each fruit.
- Arrange the almonds and coconut around the butter. Drizzle the honey over, and then sprinkle with cinnamon. Grill until the figs are soft and the honey and butter have made a sauce in the bottom of the dish. Take care not to burn the almonds and coconut.
- Serve warm, with dollops of amasi curds, mascarpone or yoghurt.
Excerpted from Eat-ting: Lose Weight, Gain Health, Find Yourself by Anna Trapido and Mpho Tshukudu, published by Quivertree Publications and available at leading bookstores and online. Photo credits to Photographer Craig Fraser and Stylist Caro Alberts.
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”