*1 large brinjal, cut into 5 cm pieces
*1 tsp salt
*1/4 cup oil
*2 large onions, chopped
*2 cloves garlic, crushed
*1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
*1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
*410 g canned diced tomatoes
*2 large baby marrows, diced
*1 bay leaf
*1 TBSP fresh marjoram or oregano leaves
*2 TBSP red wine vinegar
*salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a colander, toss the brinjal with salt. Let it stand for 20 minutes, then rinse under cold running water, squeeze out any excess liquid and set aside.
3. Warm the oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
4. Add the onions to the pan and fry until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until both the onions and garlic are soft – about 5 minutes. 4. Add the peppers and, stirring frequently, cook until tender – about 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, brinjal, baby marrows, bay leaf and marjoram to the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally.
6. Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the saucepan and simmer until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy – about 15 minutes.
7. Season to taste with vinegar, salt and pepper.
8. Remove the bay leaf from the stew, dish up, and enjoy!
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”