1 tsp Clearspring Sea Salt to rub on aubergine
1 TBSP Clearspring Sesame Oil
For the glaze:
4 TBSP Clearspring Sweet White Miso
2 TBSP Clearspring Hatcho Miso
2 TBSP Clearspring Mikawa Mirin
2 TBSP Clearspring Rice Malt Syrup
Optional toppings: Toasted sesame seeds Spring onion Chilli flakes
1. Wash the aubergine and cut in half lengthways (you can keep the tops for decoration, as in the image). Score it lengthways, creating a diamond shape.
2. Rub the salt on the surface and leave it to one side.
3. In a small pan, add all the ingredients for the glaze and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir until all the ingredients are mixed well.
4. Remove the salt from the aubergine with a cloth or paper towel.
5. On medium heat, add 1 TBSP of sesame oil to a large frying pan and place the aubergine with the flesh side down. Press the skin of the aubergine down so the white cooks through. Leave to cook for a few minutes (you can put the lid on if it's not soft). When you start to see colour on the aubergine, flip it over and cook some more with the skin side down.
6. Once the aubergine looks cooked, glaze the miso sauce with a spoon and spread it evenly. Sprinkle some sesame seeds, spring onion and chilli flakes and serve warm.