3 garlic cloves with the skin on
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon red chilli powder (alternatively cayenne)
⅛ teaspoon salt (fine crystals)
⅛ teaspoon turmeric
4-5 dried chillies
3 curry leaves
¼ cup dried shredded coconut (desiccated coconut)
¼ cup cashews, roughly chopped
¼ cup peanuts, roughly chopped
4 cups Rude Health Puffed Brown Rice
Few mint leaves, chopped
1 lime, for serving
1. Slightly crush the garlic cloves.
2. Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
3. Add the garlic, mustard seeds, cumin, chilli powder, salt, turmeric, dried chillies and curry leaves. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently to make sure the spices are well mixed and evenly coated in the oil, and to prevent the spices from burning.
4. Add the peanuts and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
5. Add the cashews and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. The nuts should be lightly toasted by this point.
6. Add in the coconut and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
7. Turn the heat to low, and add in the puffed rice. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently to coat the puffed rice with the oil and spices.
8. Allow to cool. At this point, this spicy puffed rice can be saved in an airtight container at room temperature for several days.
9. When serving, garnish with mint leaves and grate some lime zest over it. Serve with a slice of lime, to be squeezed right before eating (so it does not make it soggy).
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”