4 red peppers
1 tsp salt, plus extra for seasoning
4 tsp olive oil
4 tsp vinegar
400 g spinach, chopped
3 eggs, separated
Pepper, to taste
250 g cream cheese with chives
50 g sundried tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a Swiss roll baking pan with baking paper.
- Grill the peppers in the oven, until the skins are blackened. Remove from the oven and place in a bowl, then cover with clingwrap. As the peppers sweat and cool, the skin is loosened, making it easy to remove from the peppers. Rinse the peppers to remove any leftover blackened skin.
- Place the peppers in a bowl, then add 1 teaspoon of salt, the olive oil and vinegar. Allow to marinate in the vinegar mixture for 30 minutes.
- Cook the spinach for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Squeeze the water out of the spinach and set aside.
- Place the spinach, egg yolks, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth and well mixed.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the spinach mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the baking paper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until firm to the touch. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, slowly and carefully loosen the spinach layer from the baking paper, making sure not to tear it. This makes it easier to roll.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over the spinach layer, then top with the peppers and sundried tomatoes.
- Slowly roll up the roulade, using the paper to guide you.
- Wrap with clingwrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up before slicing and serving.
Excerpted from Veggielicious by Mokgadi Itsweng, published by NB Publishers and available at leading bookstores and online
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”