- 1 ripe avocado
- 350 g ripe mixed-colour cherry tomatoes
- 100 g baby spinach *3 spring onions
- 1/2 a bunch (15 g) of fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 mug of self-raising flour
- 1 mug of semi-skimmed milk
- Olive oil
- 300 g cottage cheese
- Hot chilli sauce
1.Halve, de-stone, peel and finely slice the avocado and quarter the tomatoes, then place in a salad bowl with a quarter of the spinach.
2. Trim, finely slice and add the spring onions and pick in the coriander leaves, then squeeze over the lime juice.
3. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, toss to coat and put aside.
4. Crack the egg into a blender, and add the flour, milk, remaining spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper, then blitz until smooth.
5. Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat, rub the pan with a little olive oil, then pour in a thin layer of batter, swirling it up and around the edges. Cook on one side only for 2 minutes, or until lightly golden, then stack up on a serving plate and repeat.
6. Top each pancake with dollops of cottage cheese, the avocado salad, and a few good shakes of chilli sauce. Really nice served with extra lime wedges for squeezing over, and a fried egg on top, if you fancy.
TIP: Instead of spinach, you could use a mixture of soft herbs such as parsley, mint, basil or tarragon – whatever you like!
Excerpted from VEG by Jamie Oliver, published by Penguin Random House © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2019 Veg). Photography: David Loftus. Available for R430 at leading bookstores.
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”