- 4 large potatoes, thoroughly washed
- 2 TBSP oil for frying, plus extra for rubbing
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 TBSP chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 x 410 g can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 x 410 g can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup grated cheese of your choice
- fresh coriander, to garnish
- sour cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork, thoroughly rub them with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and brown the mince.
- Add the onion and cook until soft. Then add the garlic and spices, and cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and sugar, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, cut them in half and scoop the flesh out of the halves and place in a mixing bowl. Mash, season, and set aside.
- Spoon the mince mixture into the potato shells, top with the mash, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with sour cream.
Excerpted from Hearty Home Food by Siphokazi Mdlankomo, published by NB Publishers and available at leading bookstores and online.
“Wellness Warehouse strives to help you live life well but because we are retailers and not medical practitioners we cannot offer medical advice. Please always consult your medical practitioner before taking any supplements, complementary medicines or have any health concerns and ensure that you always read labels, warnings and directions carefully, prior to consumption.”