- Cut the cabbage into 8 wedges, removing the core but leaving a small piece of the stem so that the wedge will stay intact
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet, casserole dish or roasting pan over medium-high heat; add the cabbage wedges, turning frequently until browned on both sides. Remove wedges and set aside.
- To the dish, add the water, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, cayenne and red pepper flakes. Mix together over medium heat until well-combined.
- Return cabbage to the pan and sprinkle over the grated carrot. Bring everything to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-40 minutes until the cabbage is tender, but still has a slight bite.
- Arrange the wedges and any loose leaves on a platter, leaving the cooking liquid in the pan. Mix together the corn starch and 2 teaspoons water to create a slurry and add to cooking liquid.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook down for about 10 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Pour over the cabbage and serve fresh and warm.