Collagen is the most prevalent protein in the body, and plays a major role in the connective tissues that make up the tendons, ligaments, skin, and muscles.
It is widely known to provide the skin with elasticity and strengthen bones, and the consumption of collagen supplements and powders has become very popular in recent years. There are still, however, some lesser known benefits that are just as impressive…
- Marine collagen plays an important role not only in invigorating your skin’s youthful appearance, but also in supporting regeneration (thanks to its active peptides) and increasing moisture (through its elevation of hyaluronic acid synthesis).
- Collagen peptides help to stimulate optimal body functioning by increasing muscle mass and decreasing fat mass; improving bone stability and flexibility; increasing elasticity; and strengthening ligaments and tendons.
- Collagen can help to relieve joint pain by maintaining the integrity of your cartilage, which is the rubber-like tissue that protects your joints. As the amount of collagen in your body decreases (due to age, ethnicity, gender, etc.), your risk of developing degenerative joint disorders such as osteoarthritis increases.
- Collagen can help to promote heart health by ensuring that the structure of your arteries remains intact. Without enough collagen, arteries may become weak and fragile.
- Collagen may increase the strength of your nails by preventing brittleness, as well as stimulate both nail and hair growth.
It is important to remember that not all collagen supplements are created equal. When choosing yours, make sure that it is non-GMO, and contains no fillers, preservatives, or added artificial ingredients.